We have all been there. The alarm goes off and the snooze button finds your finger, or you are scrambling to find a matching pair of gym socks and you think to yourself “I don’t really want to work out right now…”
Maybe you have been over training, your body is aching, sore and the thought of flexing your quads to stand, much less do a weighted squat, sounds miserable. Or perhaps the opposite is true. You haven’t caught your stride, and so when you DO work out, you are sore for days and hate the idea of doing it all over again. So here you are, forcing yourself to do something you know is good for you, and you are not really having any fun…
- Change it up! Take a look at your routine and evaluate what it may be lacking. If you have been strength training for a long time, try to integrate some high intensity interval training. If you have been doing a lot of yoga or Pilates, it may be good to hit the weights for a few rounds of heavy lifting. Haven’t taken a spin class in a while? Maybe you hire a trainer for just a few sessions and learn some new fun ways to work your muscle groups that you have never thought of! Even just 3 sessions with a trainer can teach you some great new techniques that may be just the spice your routine needs.
- Find a work out buddy. Doing anything with a friend is more fun. Ask your co-workers who head out the door with their gym bags to join you! No one in the office wants to play? But what if your boyfriend/girlfriend works late or your best friend just had a kid and can’t leave the house? Try joining a group on www.meetup.com. They have meet up groups for a wide variety of fitness related adventures. Or ask your trainer or coach if they have any recommendations for your workout buddy. Chances are, they know someone who has similar fitness goals as you, similar time frames for a work out, and would even be happy to offer buddy-session training at a discounted rate!
- Get outside. Maybe going from the fluorescent lights of your office to the covered steel box of your warehouse gym isn’t what your summer-thirsty skin wants right now. Go for a walk run, hit up a local park for sprint training, or find a local outdoor work out gym https://www.arlingtonva.us/portals/topics/FitArlingtonGetOutdoors.aspx or grab a kettle bell, a jump rope and try Nina’s park work out! (check out Nina at the park) Breath the fresh air and let the sounds and feel of summer soak into your skin and get more than just an endorphin boost from increasing your heart rate, but also vitamin D, a vitamin your body needs to absorb and store in large amounts to last the upcoming winter.
- Don’t workout. De-stress instead. Yes you heard me right. Sometimes answering your body’s cry for a break is the right thing to do. If you are surviving a stressful job in a stressful season on a pot of coffee, chances are your parasympathetic nervous system (the one that keeps your body revved up) is in high gear and could use a little down time. This doesn’t mean you just go home and catch up Hulu reruns. Be intentional with your recovery plan and treat your body to a wellness-related service such as massage, or a detoxifying foot bath. Does your body feel tight and stiff? Try Swe-Thai, an hour of stretching-based massage. (link to massage page of website) Acupuncture can be a great way to give your immune system a boost, or target any sore area of the body that needs healing. Integrate sessions in our Infrared Sauna, which uses infrared light to penetrate your tissue, increase your circulation, loosen up myofascial tissue and invoke a fantastic sweat response for detoxification! (Attach link to our website on the sauna page here) Finding a beautiful balance between working your body hard and allowing it to recover properly is what a healthy fitness routine is all about.
- Get competitive. Are there any feats of athleticism you have always wanted to achieve? Find something measurable that requires you to push past your limits! This is something we foster in our studio because we KNOW competition can be super motivating. Check out our record board! It is FULL of fun, interesting fitness challenges designed to push our clients toward friendly competition and a tangible goal to work toward. We’ve got 2 of our current and former record holders, Helene and Stefanie, to talk about their motivation! Check them out here.